East Malling
  index.html  
Larkfield

Church Farm, 198 New Hythe Lane, Larkfield, Kent, ME20 6ST   UK
Tel:
01732 844546 Fax: 01732 875857 E-mail: office@emandlpc.co.uk W
eb: www.emandlpc.co.uk

Churches

Holy Trinity Larkfield
Standing above New Hythe Lane with its Lychgate entrance, Holy Trinity was opened in 1854. Designed by R.P. Pope it has stained glass in the east and west ends Wheel window) by Gibbs, and a triple bell-gable.
Originaly New Hythe Church, it stands next to the former Larkfield CofE school, now dwellings) and Glebe house the former Vicarage. The wall between the church and school buildings traditionallly was said to be the boundary between New Hythe and Larkfield.
The churchyard was closed to burials in 1962 and its elevated position gives a good view over the industrial site to the River Medway Gap and North Downs.

St James the Great, East Malling
The original church for the whole parish. Larkfield church was a chapel of ease with just a curate till 1949 -when Larkfield became a separate Anglican parish.
St James is an old and beautiful building with towers and clock and is the work of many generations from the Normans onwards, probably reaching its present general form by the middle of the 14th century. It contains brasses to Thomas Selby and Richard Adams who lived nearby at Bradbourne House.The footpath through the churchyard leads leads in a continuous route to Maidstone with an early branch to the north going to St Peters Church, Ditton.

Lost Chapel of St John
There was a former chapel to St John at New Hythe probably marking the former ferry crossing to Eccles. It ceased to be a chapel in 1538 when Malling Abbey wasw dissolved and the building itself was demolished in about 1949.

Methodist Church, Larkfield
The first Methodist Chapel was built in Chapel Street, East Malling in 1844 with "Iron Chapel" on the present site in Larkfield in about 1898.
The Chapel in East Malling deteriorated so the Methodist Societys united to built the present hexagonal church. Opening in 1964 on the site of the old green paainted iron chapel. A hall was also added behind.

 

D7-Desingned web | Site Map | Contact Us | ©2013 East Malling and Larkfield Parish Council