Front
THE PARISH CHURCH
OF
ST. JAMES THE GREAT
EAST MALLING

KENT
from the back
There was a Church on this site in Saxon times and certainly one here in AD945. Parts of the present Church date from the XIthC
Nave of the church
click pic to enlarge
The roof is XIV-XVthC and was completely overhauled and made good in 1953, although a considerable amount of the original timber remains. Most of the beams were from old ships. In the late XIVthC the pitch roof was removed and the walls raised and pierced for the Clerestory windows.
part of a stained glass window

Text from L.W. Rogers
Pictures by Helen Stephenson
taken from her website
Page1-- page2-- page 3-- page 4

return to
East Malling & Larkfield Parish Council

web D7D-Zine