Christ Church, Lewes



Who we are What's on Services Young People Info

© Christ Church Lewes 2017

LEP

We seek to proclaim the Gospel and serve our local community

a United Reformed Church and Methodist Church

HOW CHRIST CHURCH EVOLVED….

In 1662 the Act of Uniformity led to the creation of various non-conformist denominations, The Presbyterians were established in Market Street in the 19th century, the Congregationalists in the Tabernacle, and the Wesleyan Methodists in Station Street

In 1939 the Presbyterians and Congregationalists united and together moved to Prince Edwards Road in1954 foreshadowing the national merger to form the United Reformed Church in 1972. After the Methodists sold their Station Street building they shared premises at Westgate Chapel until 1985 after which the United Reformed Church played a role in supporting Methodist newcomers to the area. On 20 June 1999 Christ Church was formed as a Local Ecumenical Partnership between the Lewes United Reformed Church and the Mid-Sussex Circuit of the Methodist Church.

Now Lewes can offer a united church serving the mainstream non-conformist traditions of the town.

You can read more about the history of Christ Church here.