|THE TUDOR HOUSE|
The Tudor house in Margate, thought to be one of the oldest of its kind in Kent, was open to the public on selected dates during the 2006 summer season.
Situated in King Street, it was built around 1525 and is typical of many houses of that period. It’s believed that the Tudor House would have been one of the largest buildings in Thanet and would probably have belonged to a wealthy yeoman farmer. At the time of building, it would have stood close to the bank of the stream which ran down Dane Valley and entered the sea where Margate Harbour now is.
The oldest deed can be traced back to 1802, when the Tudor House was a farmhouse owned by Francis Cobb. In 1815, the building was converted into three cottages and the lower part of the exterior of the Tudor House was plastered over, while inside the oak panelling was covered with wallpaper and the beams were plastered over.
During the Second World War, the roof was damaged and vibration from bombs led to it tilting forwards. In 1951, restoration work started to return the house to its former glory, when the panelling was completely restored and the windows and doorframes were re-situated.
Group visits by schools, clubs and organisations can be arranged all year round by contacting Margate Museum on (01843) 231213.