Home About Engines Links Contact

 

Amanco

Bamford

Blackstone

National

Handyman

Tangye

Petter

Hornsby

Shanks

Mirrlees

Lister

Victoria

 

RICHARD HORNSBY & SONS Ltd.

Grantham, Lincoln, England

(Photos lower down)

Hornsby's were a well established manufacture of agricultural implements and steam engines, when in 1891 they agreed to build Herbert Akroyd Stuart's patent oil engine. Akroyd's engine had separate air inlet and injection of fuel into a hot bulb, which vaporized it. On compression, the fresh air was forced through a narrow neck. The engines were called Hornsby-Akroyd and they were very successful.

Engines from 1½hp to 40hp were offered in standard form or as portables from 1892 to 1900.After 1900 engines blowlamps replaced the blowers previously used. At this time engines were painted a dark brown with red lining, early engines were a light green. Vertical engines were also built at this time in several sizes possibly including marine engines.

The 1905 type now has a horizontal inlet valve instead of being in a valve box below the cylinder. There was also a change in the injector. The sizes of engines were increased to 66hp. JEH Andrews were taken over so adding the Stockport gas engines (2hp to 170hp) to Hornsbys. 1912 saw further changes mainly to the governor, which now became enclosed. During this time Hornsby offered a range of petrol or petrol/paraffin engines in smaller sizes from 1½hp to 12hp.

After the 1914 -18 war Hornsby merged with Ruston-Proctor to form Ruston & Hornsby.

The engine shown is a portable sold in 1913 by Walter Wilder to Mr. Page of Woodcote. It is a 6hp engine No.40144 single flywheel reverse rotation. The engine is a 1905 type with a Porter type governor, cascade cooling is used with a piston pump to circulate the water, and the exhaust induces air to cool the tower.

Mr. Page used the engine till 1954 to cut fire wood, so the engine was in good working order, except he was unable to find the injector. The engine was repainted and relined, an injector borrowed, the engine was again in running order. A new injector has been made and now fitted.

 

Home About Engines Links Contact