Stage One:- I removed the wipers from the spindles (13mm bolt), scuttle cover (the black plastic cover at the back of the engine bay) and removed the wiper mechanism by unbolting it from the motor spindle (10mm bolt) and undoing the large bolts at the base of the wiper arms.
Stage Two:- I removed the links for the offside arm completely leaving just the spindle for the nearside arm and the rod from the motor.
Stage Three:- To increase the arc I then hammered flat the arm on the motor to increase its length and thus the increase the radius the wiper swings through. Three problems arose from this, 1) the linkage drops off the motor as the angle is too great between them, 2) the arc is still not big enough and 3) the linkage knocks against the wiper motor spindle.
Stage Four:- I took another arm and used this to extend the effective length of the arm by about 1 inch.
I cut off the rod linkage end off one and motor end off the other.
Take your time here to ensure that the extended arm lifts the rod above the motor spindle but retains a level turn.
The best way would be not to flatten either arm, just cut the ball off one and fix the other to this.
I used small rivets to join them. The arm is soft alloy so easy to drill.
Stage 5:- Refitting - Care needs to be taken here or damage to the
wipers, or worse, the paint may occur.
Where do you want the wiper to park, by law it should not obstruct the drivers view when not in use so should park at the bottom of the screen, fix the arm in the same place on the motor as when you removed the old one. However if your car is for show and off road use only you can fit the wiper "BTCC" style parking in the centre of the screen, fixing the arm as I have above does this with it wiping to the driver side first, with the arm down it would wiper passenger side first.
Before refitting the wiper blade operate the motor on so it centralises.
Fit the wiper blade. To avoid paint damage, operate the motor with the wiper up off the screen.
Leave the scuttle panel off for a few days to ensure everything works,
if it doesn't a small adjustment to ensure everything is square is normally all that is needed.
Initial experience show this to be a very effective modification with good clearance and a faster wipe time.
Points to note
return to the main page and Disclaimer